Text Box:    North Greenbush Police Department

Accident Report Info

Accident / Incident Report Information

Accident Report: If you need a copy of an accident report you may come to the front desk of the police department to request one.

As a rule of thumb,  you should allow 3 business days for your report to be processed and approved for release.

Accidents where a hit and run occurred, or those involving serious injuries or death may take much longer.

You may check on the availability of an accident report by calling the Police Front Desk at (518) 283-5323.


Incident Report: Reports of other incidents may be obtained by requesting the report at the Police Front Desk.

The report will only be released to the party whom is either the Victim, Complainant. 

If you require a report and do not fall into to this criteria, you may file a request, by filing a Freedom of Information Law (FOIL) request form at the North Greenbush Town Offices, located at 2 Douglas Street, Wynantskill, NY 12198.


What must I do at the accident scene?

If you are in an accident, you are required by the NYS Vehicle and Traffic Law to stop and exchange information with the involved drivers.

If the accident caused property damage only, then exchange information about your driver license, insurance, and registration with the involved drivers.

If a parked vehicle or other property is damaged, or if a domestic animal is injured, you must locate the owner or contact the police.

 If the property damage of any person is $1,001 or more, all the involved drivers are required by the NYS Vehicle and Traffic Law to file form MV-104 (Report of Motor Vehicle Accident). File form MV-104 with the DMV no more than 10 days after the accident. The DMV can suspend your driver license if you fail to report an accident.


 If a person is injured or killed, you are required by the NYS Vehicle and Traffic Law to immediately notify the police. All the involved drivers and the police must file an accident report with the DMV. It is a crime to leave the scene of an accident that causes personal injury or death.


 The accident appears on the records of all the involved drivers. An accident listed on your driver record does not indicate that you were at fault. The DMV does not try to determine fault in an accident.


 To get a copy from the DMV, use form MV-198C (Request for Copy of Accident Report)